These posts contain affiliate links to products we think will benefit readers. We may earn a commission if you purchase through our links. Also, assume that majority of the products haven’t been tried by owners of this site (except only a few). All content stems from research and feedback from previous users. Read the full disclosure here.
Are you looking for the best trash can for dog poop that you can trust? Then you’re on the right page.
Despite the thousands of models out there, you can’t trust many of them.
Because many of them don’t have what it takes to keep your dog’s poop while keeping the odor out.
Fortunately, there are a couple of models that’ll do exactly that for you. And they’re not too difficult to find.
I’ve helped you to collate the best in this guide. All you have to do is select one that matches your preferences.
Why Trash Cans for Dog Poop?
Why consider a garbage can for your dog when you can use your kitchen trash. Well, that’s not a smart idea.
Dog poop is known for its bad odor. And they’re not even hygienic so you can’t let it mix with regular kitchen waste.
You can’t also use the bathroom trash because…dog fecal is filled with harmful bacterias and toxins that can give you more than an evening headache.
It is estimated that a 23-million fecal coliform bacteria go into a single gram of dog poop.
Fortunately, many people have realized the health gains from using a dedicated dog waste disposal system.
That’s why these most garbage systems are selling like hotcakes.
Now, you too can select from the top-rated, best selling models in the market.
There are other models worth looking at so I’ve included their reviews below.
Reviews of the Best Trash Cans (Updated for 2020)
Now that you know the importance of getting a dedicated doggie poop trash can and how it can keep your doggie clean and healthy, it’s time to select one.
Feel free to choose from any of the models below. They’re top-rated, high-quality and reliable outdoor dog poop trash can.
Behrens Manufacturing Galvanized Trash Can
I know there are dozens of these out there. But I guarantee you that not many are worth the time or money. But I’m introducing one of the best selling trash cans you can get for keeping dog poop.
The Behrens Galvanized Trash Can has been around for some time.
It’s garnered thousands of reviews and I’ve personally seen hundreds of dollars from people. This means it’s working and many people are getting canine waste under control.
If you’re looking for the ideal pet pood storage trash can, then you should consider the Behrens 10 Gallon Locking Lid Can.
Aside from having the space to contain your dog’s wastes, you can keep other items like grass seed, birdseed, and pet bedding.
Stronger and well built
Although there are a lot of quality plastic trash cans on the market, you can’t compare them to a galvanized, stainless steel model.
This is just stronger and lasts you longer than any plastic you can get your hands on.
While it won’t decompose as easily as biodegradable plastic materials, it’s highly recyclable. After using it for how long you need to use it, you can easily use it for something else.
Remember that you can keep other things inside like sand, birdseed, livestock food, wood chips and all other things that don’t need hygiene housing.
Durable locking lid
Trash cans aren’t just for storing your dog fecal. They should also shut out the smell. That’s why the locking lids are designed to do.
They’re heavy-duty and will seal out everything inside the unit. This ensures you can place it anywhere in the home without being afraid of pungent, choking odors.
Also, the locking lid is rodent and rust-free. As you can see, they’re going to last a very long time, along with the container, anywhere you store them.
This is a device that’s built to last you a long time. Not something to use and dump next month.
Transporting the unit is equally easy
The wire-reinforced rim and large handle on the trash can ensure you can convey it from one place to another with ease. Understandably, you’ll need to take it around sometimes.
So, doing that isn’t going to turn into another day job or something you abhor.
Offset the bottom, keep it floating
What does that mean? At the bottom of the can is an offset that keeps the can off the ground. Now, that’s going to keep rusting at bay and make your unit last even longer.
What I like
- It’s affordable. You’d think that’s the only reason people are buying it. Outside that, people are loving it because it just works aside from being inexpensive.
- It’s heat/fire/rust-resistant. Here is where this betters any of the plastic models out there. The most useful is rust. And fire won’t destroy it too as it will a plastic can
- There are a lot of different variations. Behrens is a smart company. They make these in different versions, with the same level of quality, so everyone can have something they’re happy with.
- It’s available right now. Yes, if you’re reading this, you can order and get your hands on this now. That’s something I like.
Where there is need for improvement
- Although the handle is well-built, it may not swing upwards very easily. Some users complain of friction between the handle and the can, which makes lifting the handle a little uneasy.
This is one of the best selling garbage can right now. There are thousands of reviews on this line and there are lots of styles/varieties to choose from.
I wouldn’t waste any time in getting one if you need to contain your dog poop healthily.
Litter Champ Premium Odor-Free Cat Litter Disposal System
Even if you’ve come across dozens of trash cans, I’m sure you’ve not seen it all.
This little disposal system is designed for smaller apartments and for keeping things tidy when on the go. It’s slim and compact so that it can easily go into any corner in your kitchen.
It’s odor-free, so you don’t have to think too much when you have to use it. The elegant design isn’t just for the looks. It’s also for keeping the bad smell away from your surroundings.
Another interesting feature of the unit is that it’s 100% biodegradable. This means that you can dispose of it and be sure it’ll be decomposed by bacteria.
This is beneficial to the environment and you can be among those who work against pollution when you utilize and dispose of this off (once you’ve enjoyed the service/value of course).
It isn’t just small though. The manufacturer carefully designed it in such a way that you can start using it right away once it gets to your doorstep.
You don’t have to assemble anything. Nor do you have to battle with batteries and buying a new one.
This garbage capacity is 4-gallon though, which may not be enough for some people especially those with large or multiple dogs.
But if you have a small puppy or like to keep things simple and easy, you’ll like this. Also, don’t be put off by the cat picture on the unit.
This item has been bought by dozens of dog owners over the past few months so you’re not alone in using this.
Using this is so easy you’ll like it
If you’ve never used a garbage can before for your dog poop, you should be excited. Though it’s plastic, the Little Champ Disposal System has a pulley system that allows you to get the poop inside quickly.
All you have to do is pull on the lever and the cover pops up. Throw in the fecal matter and release. No time for taking in smell or pungent odors.
Also, to ensure all owners get things done quickly, the package comes with a parker. With this parker, you don’t have to touch any dirt, especially if you’re using disposable bags.
That also saves you time since you don’t have to wash hands or anything like that.
The seal is strong; keeps odors out
The unit comes with a triple-seal design that ensures that odors are completely locked out from your kitchen or where you place the unit.
Whether your doggy friend is having their worse month and shitting now and then, you don’t have to worry. Once you place the poop in the garbage, it’s gone forever (everything being equal).
You can also enjoy a 5-year warranty with your purchase
I’ve reviewed thousands of products throughout the years. You don’t always get a 5-year warranty on items like this.
But because this is a durable ABS resin system, the manufacturer is confident it’ll serve you well you won’t have to think about returning it.
What I like
- The aesthetic design of the unit is pleasing to the eye. It keeps odors out of your nose and feeds your eyes with elegance.
- It doesn’t require any battery or assembly, which means you can start using it right away. No waiting.
- It’s backed by a 5-year warranty. When I’m buying these kinds of products, I don’t think about the warranty (as long as I’m buying from a reputable brand). But the manufacturer is kind enough to offer a generous warranty which I doubt you’ll use. With most of those who’ve purchased in the past, only a small fraction (or none at all) has returned their unit.
- It comes with litter scoop and bag liner so you can start picking up and taking out poop immediately.
Where there is need for improvement
- The liners may not give you any warning that it’s running out. That’s not always a nice thing but at least it might teach someone to pay attention.
A lot of people have purchased this already, despite the downsides. You can order one for your pet right now that it’s still available.
Pet Genie Ultimate Pet Waste Odor Control Pail
It has a push-n-lock system that keeps the dog poop in the unit and restrains any foul smell from escaping.
Any owner knows that these trash cans can make life easy and the air free of odors.
And I’m sure no one wants their garage smelling like doo-doo.
Fortunately for you, and many other pet owners, the package includes 7-layer refill bags and an in-built odor barrier technology. That means you can forget about
Great for smaller dogs
If you have a dog around 10 to 50 lbs, this is the right model for you.
It may not be very good or even suitable for bigger dogs as you’d need to empty more frequently. It’s a great can for keeping the dog waste in between pickup days.
Portable and stays discreet
You probably aren’t going to travel with this. However, it’s compact and can easily be kept inconspicuous in most areas of the home.
It also comes with liners you can pick up with you when you’re going for a walk with your dog. So, if your canine needs to do her business on the go, you’re covered.
What I like
- It’s a plastic design, so doesn’t rust like other metal garbage systems. That means a long-lasting use, which everyone likes.
- It’s compact and portable. Now, if you want to keep it from visible, that’s very easy. Just find a corner in the home and it’ll stay there until you need to empty or drop waste.
- Odor control is spot on. If that’s the only reason you’re buying this, then you’re in good hands.
Where there is need for improvement
- This is designed for small and not big dogs. If you’re looking for a good garbage disposal system for larger dogs, look at the Behrens series. That’s the #1 above.
- It doesn’t have a lever for lifting the cover like the Litter Champ, #2 above. This can make dropping waste a little uneasy.
Overall, this is a portable dog proof trash can for small dogs. And it’s affordable.
Get it now while you still can (I have seen some products go out of sale, never to return).
Best Trash Can for Dog Poop — Verdict
There are hundreds of dog poop trash cans on the market.
You’ll also find varieties such as above ground pet waste Disposal, dog poop buckets, dog poo bins, and outdoor disposal systems.
Many of these are suitable for you as long as they have the necessary features. I’ve tried to include those I have personal sales with and many people are happy with them.